My template

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Easy Summer Recipe -- Fruity Chicken Salad

I hate cooking during the summer months. It makes the house so hot, and so many other activities are more fun. I try to look for any recipe that doesn't require the oven to be running.

Fruity Chicken Salad is a perfect one. I came up with it after getting recipes for chicken salad from two friends of mine. I mish-mashed theirs together and came up with my own. I don't really know exact measurements, because as my husband says, "Measurements? I don't need no stinkin' measurements when it comes to cooking." And, yes, my husband is a wonderful cook.

This recipe makes a huge batch, but it tastes even better after it's sat in the refrigerator. I use it to make our lunches, and it lasts about three to four days.

Fruity Chicken Salad
About 3 to 4 pounds of boneless chicken breasts
celery salt
water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
3 or 4 apples
a big bunch of grapes
mayonnaise

Place bouillon cubes in a cup of warm water and allow to dissolve. Lay the chicken breasts in a crockpot. Sprinkle liberally with the celery salt. Add water to cover the chicken. Pour the buoillon into it. Cover and cook on low for about six to seven hours until chicken is tender and following apart.

Shred the chicken with a fork. Cut the apples into small chunks and add to the chicken. Sprinkle with celery salt and stir. Cut the grapes into fourths and add to the chicken and apples. Stir. Add enough mayonnaise to coat the chicken. I like a little more mayo, so I used about half a jar.

Serve on potato bread. It is even better after it sits in the refrigerator a day or two.

1 comment:

Erin Wallace said...

This sounds really good. We have a resteraunt that serves something similar to this and it's one oftheir most popular dishes. Thanks for sharing!

xo Erin