My template

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 5 and 6 of Sleep Training -- We are getting there


Yesterday (Saturday), Ella took a three hour nap. I am still doing naps in the swing, because I want her to get use to sleeping in the crib first. Then, I'll work on naps. She would have slept longer, but I was afraid it would affect her night time sleep if I let her go longer.


I used to give Ella a bath in the mornings because it was just easier since I had to do Tessa's at night. Well, I had heard a bath sets up a good night time routine, so last night, I decided to try it. It won't be something I can do every night because the doctor said not to bathe her every night, but I can do the lotion massage. I gave her a bath, lotioned her down and gave her the bottle. She fell asleep while taking it but woke up as soon as I laid her down.


I turned on the music on her crib and put her gloworm in there with her. She was fine as long as the music was playing and the gloworm was lit up. When it went off, she started to cry. I knew then again, that I needed something to play for longer period of time. Even so, she was asleep within an hour, and slept until 6:45 a.m., 9 hours and 45 minutes. I am extremely happy about that.


When I talked to my best friend last night, she told me she had two different kinds of soothers. One was the aquarium like I wanted, and the other was the Playskool Gloworm Dreambook Slumbertime Soother Crib Toy. I looked pretty cool, and she said I could borrow it. Her sister got it for her at a yard sale and only spent $1. It retails for $93 on Amazon. I am including a pic of it.
Tonight, I put the bumper pads in, and I got the soother from my friend. I gave Ella her lotion massage, put her pajamas on her, gave her a bottle and she fell asleep. She woke up when I laid her down, so I turned on that toy. She was mesmerized. It has a switch that allows you to keep it playing continuously for 20 minutes, and I actually had to go turn it off because Ella was asleep. I am in shock. It was so easy tonight.
I hope it continues. She's been asleep nearly four hours and has only made a minimal amount of noise. I can't afford to spend $93 on a toy right now, but if it continues to work, I just might have to. My friend's baby is going to need it in a few months, otherwise, I would try to buy it from her. Let me just say I'm very happy about this. If it stays this easy, I will be ecstatic.

1 comment:

Steph said...

It taken my almost 2 year old son almost 2 years to sleep through the night. I feel your pain!

You have a new follower, hope to see you tomorrow at Way Back Wednesday :)

http://goobergrapemonkeyman.blogspot.com