My template

Friday, September 19, 2008

Recruiting letter writers

I have sent two e-mails out, one to our state representative Curt Cobb and another to NARAL, the national pro-choice organization. I haven't heard back from either of them, so I'm going to print out the copy of my e-mail to Curt Cobb and snail mail it to him. I'm going to wait to see if I hear anything from them.

I am about to write our letter to the state senator. His name is Jim Tracy, and he is a republican who is pro-life. Curt Cobb considers himself pro-life, but he is a democrat. I also have a personal connection with Curt because his mom was my kindergarten teacher. I didn't feel like I needed to spend as much time crafting his letter as I will have to Jim's, even though I did spend a lot of time on it. Jim Tracy is also a member of the church of Christ, which is very conservative and can be very fundamental. I want to reach him and touch his very core, make him see that these laws need to changed. My words have to be carefully chosen with him.

I've also been talking to people the past few days to recruit them as letter writers. My mom was my first recruit, and she is more than willing to help me out. My aunt was next, and she is also willing. Today, I recruited my co-worker, cousin, sister and another aunt. I know it seems like a small number of people, but at least, it's a start. I have to get over my fear of asking people whether they will be willing to help me. If I'm going to get "Jenna's law," as my aunt calls it, to pass, I have to be tough and not afraid.

I'm also starting a petition. If I can get enough people to sign it, I can present that to our representatives, too. I plan to be persistent. Maybe if I make enough noise, they'll try to get it to pass just to shut me up.

1 comment:

Mommy said...

I just wanted to thank you for you strength and the perspective I received by reading your blog!!! You are an amazing woman, I hope it is okay for me to follow your journey. I have a six month old who is teething and it makes me want to scream, but I cry out of thankfulness for having him now as well. Thank you so very much