My template

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Beta results in today

This morning I received the results from my first beta blood test. The beta tests measures the HcG, which is the pregnancy hormone. Anything over 5 is considered a positive pregnancy test, according to my nurse. My levels were 27. Most women who are at least 11 days past ovulation and are pregnant will have numbers between 5 and 50.

I am going tomorrow morning for another blood test. It will have been 48 hours since the first. The beta tests checks to see if the numbers are doubling, which is what it should be doing. I'm praying that it's doubling. The blood test will also check to see if my progesterone levels are high enough.

For those of us with PCOS (Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome), we often have a problem with progesterone, which can lead to a miscarriage. If my progesterone is low, I'll be started on supplements. If it's not and my beta has doubled, I will be released to go to an ob/gyn since my gyneocologist no longer delivers babies.

To be honest, I'm beginning to feel like a stuck pig. I went at 7 days past ovulation to check my progesterone levels. Two days ago, I went for my first blood test, and tomorrow, my second. I hate giving blood anyway, so this is a lot for me. I figure my arm is going to start leaking soon.

I'll post the results for these tests when I get them on Friday. Please keep your fingers crossed that the numbers have doubled.

No comments: