My template

Friday, January 23, 2009

Making a change in wording

Since I first started getting this law changed, I've differentiated between terminating for a poor prenatal diagnosis and for a fatal one. I knew in Tennessee I would never get support if I worded it "life of the mother, poor prenatal diagnosis and rape and incest," because many believe you should only terminate if the condition is fatal.

But, I posted on a discussion board I frequent, and someone I have great regard for gently pointed out that by doing so I am offending those who terminated for a non-fatal poor prenatal diagnosis. I wouldn't want to do that. Believe me, I know they are hurting bad enough without them taking what I said the wrong thing and thinking I'm condemning them when I'm not.

I fully believe that anyone who receives a poor prenatal diagnosis has to take everything into consideration and make the decision that is right for their family, whether that is to carry to term or say goodbye early. I don't believe anyone has the right to tell that family what they have to do in this situation, because as I've said, it's all about making healthcare choices for their children.

If I've offended anyone here, please let me apologize. That is not my intent at all. From now on, even in correspondence with those who could help me change the law, I'm going to use the terms "poor prenatal diagnosis." No one should be forced to make the wrong decision for their child when it comes to healthcare, and this includes the unborn with a poor diagnosis.

No comments: