My template

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Feeling frustrated

I received an e-mail yesterday from Rep. Joe Armstrong's assistant, who told me that because of his other duties he doesn't feel as though he has the time to do the research needed to be the one to sponsor this legislation. His assistant said he was contacting other representatives who might be willing to do so.

She gave me the name and address of a Planned Parenthood lobbyist. I e-mailed her and told her my story. She said what happened to me is an example of what happens when laws hurt, not help, and that my idea is a common sense one. I agree, but she said there was very little support in the legislature for it.

I just don't get it. Many pro-life people I have met (including one of my best friends, who is staunchly pro-life and only makes exceptions for life of the mother and fatal pre-natal diagnosis, not even for rape and incest) believe the law should have exceptions for cases like mine and health of the mother, whether they believe in it for rape and incest.

I was talking to a friend yesterday, and she said that it really isn't about abortion. It's about the end of life care. Her saying that reminds me of my comparing it to turning off the machine for a brain dead or stopping care for a terminally ill patient. I wish I could make people see that in cases like mine it's not about abortion at all. If I could make the legislation see that and know I wanted to end my pregnancy due to the love I felt for my child, not for selfish reasons, surely they would agree with me and add an amendment to the law. I'll say it again. This isn't about abortion; it's about allowing a parent to make healthcare choices for their sick unborn children.

1 comment:

Niff and Andy said...

Oh sweetheart, I'm sorry. Keep trying! Something is boung to happen - hopefully soon so other mothers don't have to experience what you did. (((MAJOR HUGS)))