My template

Thursday, August 20, 2009

25 week appointment update

I went to the doctor on Monday, and I had to do my gestational diabetes screening test. For those who don't know what that is, you have to drink this nasty orange-soda flavored drink and then an hour later, they draw your blood.

For this test, you don't have to be fasting, and I'm really glad about that as my appointment was in the afternoon. But, I'm thinking that eating that day might have skewed the results even though the nurse said it wouldn't. My level was 146. Failing is anything 140 and above, so it really wasn't that bad. But, now I have to take the three hour test. I have to go on Monday, drink the stuff in the office after not having anything to eat or drink since midnight the night before and then have my blood drawn every hour for the next three hours.

I really do dread this. I'm going on Monday. That stuff I have to drink makes me nauseaus (I hate orange soda anyway, and this is way sweeter), and my veins can be hard to get. Oh well, it will be fine. I know I'm at higher risk for gestational diabetes, and gestational diabetes can lead to a bigger baby, which I don't need. Tessa weighed five pounds, seven ounces, and I had a second degree tear. My doctor has said a bigger baby could lead to a C-section for me because she doesn't think I could deliver a bigger baby.

I also got a call the same day about being anemic. My iron levels are really, really low. I chalked my exhaustion and inability to concentrate up to being pregnant, but it turns out it was probably because of the anemia. I am now on iron supplements, but they make me really, really nauseaus.

Yesterday, I went to lunch with my friend Rita, and in the middle of it, I started feeling really bad. I felt so bad that I had to leave, because it was our birthday lunch together, but I couldn't help it. I'm so glad I left when I did because I threw up all in the restaurant parking lot. And, as I was puking, I was peeing, all over myself. I thought I was finished, closed the car door and then felt it again. I didn't get the door opened all the way in time, and I threw up all over the door and my shirt. And, again, I peed on myself. I am so glad it didn't happen in the restaurant, and I can't tell you how mortified I am that it happened in the parking lot where everyone could see.

Even though the instructions said to take on an empty stomach, I'm taking them with food, and since I got sick again last night from them, I'm taking a phenergan with it, too. I didn't work today because I felt so bad, but I have to go in tomorrow, so I definitely don't need to be up all night.

Other than all of that, my appointment was good. I've only gained one pounds since my last appointment, which puts me at 10 pounds over all. My uterus is measuring right on track. I only have two days until I get to the "100 days and counting" countdown. I can't wait.


Mirna said...

Oh dear I feel for you. Being anemic myself, I remember the stuff they gave me made me feel just as horrible! Aargh, I can only imagine how you must have felt Mate. Big hugs to you and we are all counting.... :)

JenJen said...

I didn't realize on FB that your iron tablets were making you sick, I thought you were one of the infortunates that gets to have morning sickness forever. Ugh, I'm sorry :(

I don't take the glucose test until 28, I'll be doing mine in the hospital...

I hope all goes well on Monday!

Reese said...

I found taking all meds after a small meal helped tremendously. I too was just above 140 (143) and instead of being poked 4X in my single vein only to have 2 of my numbers be slightly higher again like with Ronan, I just made a deal with my Doctor to follow the diabetic diet and prick my finger 2X a day to test my sugars. No insulin needed.

After reading many articles, I think that you have to have WAY out of control diabetes to have a large baby. Radha was only 7.5 lbs and that was mostly because she was pumped full of saline for 36 hours when I was in labor (she looked plump and then peed it all out, bless her heart).

Good luck with it, but wanted to send you some encouragement to not worry about the test and if it is slightly higher, slight modifications will assure that this girl gets here safely and will not weigh 10lbs!

Get some rest, Mamma!


Meg said...

I hope your 3 hour went well today.

In case your doc didn't warn you, the iron pills can cause wicked constipation. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water every day and you might want to add in a fiber cereal or a serving of prunes.