My template

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Details are still sketchy

A few months ago, Rep. Joe Armstrong sent me the e-mail of a Planned Parenthood lobbyist who might be able to help us with Jenna's Law. She e-mailed me on Friday and asked if I would be willing to testify at a public hearing on Wednesday about the various abortion bills that are going through the state government right now.

She asked me to call her this weekend, and I did but just got her voice mail. I'm going to try again later today when Brian is home and can keep Tessa occupied so I won't have to hear, "Momma, momma, momma" the entire time on the phone with her.

So, as of right now, I don't know what this would entail from me. I don't know how many people I would speaking in front of, but I am sure it will be quite a few. I do know that I will be sharing my story, which means I need to get to work on a speech. I was just hoping to talk to the lobbyist before I did that.

Can I just say that I am scared to death? Public speaking is not my forte. In fact, it is probably one of my greatest fears. By fears, I don't mean butterflies in the pit of your stomach scared; I'm talking about knees shaking, voice gone, fight or flight type of fear. I usually avoid public speaking at all costs, and I'm not sure I can do this.

But, then I think about last summer, about the worst month of my entire life, about how I hope no one else ever has to go through that again, and I know I have to do it. My fears are really nothing compared to the pain that someone else in this state might be going through right now because no doctor or hospital will allow them to make healthcare choices for their sick unborn child. Do I really have a choice?

2 comments:

Kim said...

Good luck Tamara! I know you'll do great!!

Jen said...

I HATE public speaking, also, but I know you will do a great job. Just try to imagine everyone in your audience is naked :)