My template

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Career choices

I have made up my mind. I'm going back to school to finish my psychology degree and then my master's so I can be a licensed psychologist. I applied tonight for an online school, so I can do it all out of my home.

My long-term career goals are to go to work in an ob/gyn's office as a grief counselor for their patients, specializing in those who have had a second trimester lost or a loss due to a poor prenatal diagnosis.

Something else I have thought of doing is volunteering as a counselor at an abortion clinic to help women who have received a poor prenatal diagnosis. With CVS testing, some women find out earlier there is a problem, and those women can do it here in Tennessee. Of course, I don't know if that's even possible or not, but I might look into it.

At my first appointment this pregnancy with my ob/gyn, I mentioned I was thinking of going back to school to become a counselor to help women who have experienced this. She mentioned she would love to have someone in her office like that. It's where I got my idea.

I am very excited to be going back. It's going to cost a lot of money, as online schools are a lot more expensive than local ones, but I am willing to pay for the convenience to do it online. We are going to be using student loans, so we are going to be going back into debt. At least, it's for an education and not an expensive car.

8 comments:

Sherry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mirna said...

I think it's wonderful! Also to go back into debt just to enrich yourself is worth every dime! You go Girl! :)

Niff and Andy said...

You could also check with the local-ish schools and see if they have online programs. Many (at least in NC) have "distance learning" programs where you do all the assignments via computer, but still earn a degree from that college.

Congrats on going back!

Basha's Mama said...

You can do Psychology online through our local university (I live in M'boro). It's a fairly new option.

Jen said...

kudos for taking the leap. I so want to go back to school and get a degree in history~ I would love to be a teacher...

You will be my inspiration!

Violet said...

I think that is a marvelous idea. I'm doing the same thing, getting my BA in psychology online through Argosy University. I love it. I am learning a lot, the teachers are great, and you interact pretty well with other students. You should check it out! They also have some masters programs. This school is accredited and is not more expensive than other schools, at least not compared to the major state universities.

Mrs. Mother said...

Violet, thanks a lot. I will check that out. I found out that the college I applied for still has the BS in psychology but no longer offers the masters in psychology. I will check out Argosy.

Bree said...

Wow. You are amazing. I hope I can turn my grief into something positive and beautiful someday.