My template

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Insensitive comments

Today, I had to take Tessa to the doctor. She was running a fever yesterday and had a sore throat, headache and stuffed up nose. She had also been exposed to the flu last week, and I didn't want to take any chances.

Instead of seeing her pediatrician, who we love, we had to see the nurse practitioner. She asked me if this pregnancy was our second child, and I said, no that we had lost one last year due to Trisomy 18.

Tessa told her that her name was Jenna. And, then the lady said something to me that floored me. She said, "That must have been hard. My dog died a few days ago."

My mouth dropped open. I didn't honestly know what to say to her. I think I mumbled something about being sorry for her loss, but I'm not sure.

I love my dog, and she is a member of the family. However, her loss, and the loss of my other pets over the years, in no way compares to the loss of my child. I still can't believe she said that.

5 comments:

Reese said...

Um, yeah....

Some people are too ridiculous for words.

Bree said...

Yeah- I hate when people say things that don't match the depth of our loss. I'm sorry. I must admit that before I lost my dad and then Ella this past year, the only loss I had ever experienced was when my cat died. So maybe that doctor has never had a significant loss before. Lucky her.

Mirna said...

I agree with Bree: she must have never had such a horrible experience herself. Could also be that she was lost for words and said that instead of thinking first. Hugs to you.

Jen said...

Umm, I can't believe she said that! What an idiot..and, you would think someone in the healthcare field would have a little more couth (ms?)

Violet said...

Wow. I can't believe she said that either. I'd never say something like that. I wonder though, if in some small ignorant way, she was trying to relate to Tessa on Tessa's level. Lucky her if the worst loss she's experienced is her dog dying.